Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Art Alliance...

So the Art Alliance show is coming...I have my idea...Heck I even already have a title...now I'm just trying to figure out which pieces to make...

I'm doing this crazy "animals take over a house" installation based on a piece I did on this subject for Petit Fours (a show of miniature work by The Other Woman Collective at Arcadia Boutique earlier this year). The piece for that show ended up being more of a maquette for something bigger and more exciting so when I was approached by the Art Alliance to create a room specific installation, I knew this would be a great fit. The space is an old mansion and the first floor is chock full o' architectural detail, similar to what I loved about the space in the Barclay for my January show at CFEVA. Right now I'm working out how many pieces, what animals, what are they doing, where can I get furniture that will work, etc etc etc... (Sidebar, if anyone has any old crappy furniture that looks like maybe it was a bit fancy at one point, I may be able to take it off your hands for you... :)

I feel like there's alot of opportunity to create some crazy pieces but want it to read as realistic and believable as possible...I want viewers to walk in and for their experience to be as if they just got home after a long trip and found out that all these animals had taken over their house...and these animals are all still there trashing the place and are all of a sudden staring, maybe even looking a bit hungry...!

Here are some photos of the space (with some crazy amazing installation in it! I don't know the artist's name but its really fabulous)...




Idea sketches to come, hopefully later this week!

No comments: